Vaginal Discharge Clinic
Every woman visits her gynecologist for this ailment at least once in a lifetime. Chronic vaginal discharge can be a harbinger to bigger health issues and even cancer cervix. Midas provides one of the best vaginal discharge treatments in Delhi.
Being one of the best IVF centres in Delhi we provide our patients with simple, non-invasive yet very effective way of diagnosing with Lugol's iodine and acetic acid. This is routinely done for all needed cases. Chronic discharge or cin 1 is not at all an indication for removing your uterus. Noninvasive office procedures like cryocautery of the cervix and regular follow up will cure it.
We at Midas provide these procedures at nominal rates without affecting your professional or personal life.
LEUKORRHEA / WHITE DISCHARGE
LEUKORRHEA MEANS WHITE DISCHARGE. However, the colour may vary depending on the cause. Though vaginal discharge is common in women leukorrhea is a mixture of cervical mucus, endometrial secretions, fluid from the peritoneal cavity and fallopian tubes, and vaginal cells. Its amount varies with the phase of the menstrual cycle, being more at the time of ovulation (cervical mucus) and premenstrually (pelvic congestion). It does not have an odour, and it may leave behind a brown stain on the underwear.
Types of abnormality-
LEUKORRHEA WITH ITCHING, then this can be because of TRICHOMONIASIS or CANDIDIASIS
- TRICHOMONIASIS is associated with the thin, yellowish, frothy, abundant, foul discharge of pH 5 to 7. The underlying vagina is inflamed, with red spots on a hyperemic background.
- CANDIDIASIS causes the thick, curdy, white discharge of pH 4 to 5.
A WET PREPARATION is made in all cases, because the nature of the discharge is misleading in some cases, and mixed infection is also possible. A drop of the discharge is placed on a glass slide and observed under a microscope. Trichomonads are seen to have flagellate motility, while the hyphae candida is not seen without special preparation. For that, the discharge is first treated with 10% KOH, which dissolves cells and tissue bodies. Then India ink is added to the mixture. It stains the background black and leaves the hyphae unstained.
If a diagnosis cannot be made by a wet preparation, a PAP SMEAR is obtained too. The smear shows trichomonads as indistinct, faintly greyish-blue cells with a variety of shapes. The epithelial cells stain red and often have the perinuclear halo. Monilial hyphae stain red, are straight or curved, unbranched, and may occur in great numbers. The spores are small, rounded, red retractile bodies which are larger and thicker than cocci.
- Trichomoniasis can be treated by any of the following regimes. Both sexual partners are treated together
- Metronidazole 200 mg PO q8h X 7 days.
- Metronidazole 2 g PO once.
- Tinidazole 300 mg PO q12h X 7 days.
- Tinidazole 2 g PO once.
- Other agents: secnidazole, clotrimazole,
CANDIDIASIS is treated by any of the following regimes.
- Miconazole 200 mg qd PV X 7 days.
- Terconazole 80 mg qd PV X 3 days.
- Nystatin 100000 units qd PV X 14 days.
- Ketoconazole 100 mg PO q12h X 3 days.
- Fluconazole 150 mg PO qd once and repeated weekly.
- Gentian violet for local application X 7 days.
LEUKORRHEA WITHOUT ITCHING, a speculum examination is done to find a local cause.
- CERVICAL EROSION is a velvety pink area of columnar epithelium in continuity with endocervical epithelium. If it is not due to pregnancy or use of combination contraceptive pills, and Pap smear is normal, it is destroyed with cryocauterization after doing colposcopy.
- CERVICITIS causes diffuse redness of the cervix. It is treated by doxycycline (100 mg qd PO X 10 days) and vaginal povidone-iodine pessaries (200 mg qd PV X 10 days). Chronic cervicitis is treated like cervical erosion.
- NONSPECIFIC VAGINITIS is caused by BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS. It causes thin, greyish, watery, odourless discharge at pH 5 to 5.5, which produced "fishy odour" on mixing with 10% KOH. A wet preparation shows "clue cells", which are stippled or granulated epithelial cells (due to adhesion of the bacterial). A gram stain shows small gram-negative bacilli and a relative absence of lactobacilli. It is treated by one of the following regimes. Metronidazole 500 mg q8h PO X 6 days or Metronidazole 2 g qd PO once (less effective)
- Foreign bodies: in adults’ forgotten menstrual tampon, ring or Hodge pessary may cause malodorous discharge. Treatment is to remove the foreign body.
- Atrophic vaginitis: lactating and postmenopausal women lack estrogen so that the vagina becomes atrophic and susceptible to trauma and infection. Treatment is the local application of estrogen cream
The reason may vary for vaginal discharge but Midas clinic assists you with the complete vaginal treatment facility.